Krasodnev — many-sided and universal
The second name of this plant is the beautiful day or day lily. This is because each flower bestows its beauty for only one day. But since there are a great many of them in one curtain, the flowering lasts a long period.
The daylily is absolutely undemanding and will grow anywhere and under any conditions. And in order for the curtains to look neat, they are limited with a plastic rim when planting and wilted inflorescences are cut off in a timely manner.
The long leaves of the daylily cascade from the center of the curtain. When it is dense, the lower leaves support the upper ones and a beautiful spherical shape is obtained. But the plants left to themselves quickly grow in breadth and the curtain turns out to be loose, the leaves break under their own weight. To avoid this, the bush must be initially programmed for density. Therefore, a plastic rim is used as a growth limiter for the underground part.
This rhizomatous perennial tolerates frost well and does not require shelter. Unpretentiousness and similarity with lily flowers prompted breeders to create new highly decorative daylily varieties.
Daylily brown-yellow (Hemerocallis fulva)
- Growth area: Caucasus, Central Europe, Mediterranean, China, Japan.
- Flowering period: beginning of August, lasts up to 6 weeks.
- Color spectrum: terracotta.
- Height: bush up to 100 cm, peduncles — 110-115 cm.
- Growing conditions: absolutely unpretentious, will be grateful for organic top dressing during the budding period.
- Peculiarities: long leaves up to 3 cm wide, flowers up to 10 cm long, wide open.
daylily yellow (Hemerocallis lilio-asphodelus)
- Growth area: floodplains, lowlands of Siberia and the Far East.
- Flowering period: mid-July, 25-30 days.
- Color spectrum: bright yellow
- Height: up to 1 m.
- Growing conditions: loves humus moist soils.
- Peculiarities: bell-shaped flower, 6 cm long, narrow leaves.
Daylily lemon yellow (Hemerocallis citrina)
- Growth area: China
- Flowering period: second half of July, up to 6 weeks.
- Color spectrum: lemon yellow.
- Height: 90 cm, peduncles slightly higher than the bush.
- Growing conditions: the most honorable place in your garden 🙂 with loose soil,
- Peculiarities: strongly elongated flowers up to 14 cm long, have an intense pleasant aroma, bloom after sunset.
day lily (Hemerocallis minor)
- Growth area: Siberia, Far East, China, Mongolia.
- Flowering period: June July.
- Color spectrum: light yellow.
- Height: up to 50 cm.
- Growing conditions: elevated areas.
- Peculiarities: flowers with widely spaced petals, 8-9 cm long, strong aroma, long leaves up to 1 cm wide.
Middendorf Daylily (Hemerocallis middendorf)
- Growth area: Far East.
- Flowering period: May June.
- Color spectrum: vitamin yellow.
- Height: bush 60-70 cm, peduncles at the same level.
- Growing conditions: unpretentious, recommended for planting for the sake of a beautiful form of curtains.
- Peculiarities: forms a very dense bush, flowers are wide open, up to 9 cm long.
DAYLILY IN GARDEN DESIGN
Solitary daylily planting against the background of a mowed lawn or mulch will emphasize the beauty of the plant as much as possible.
Alternating repetition in a mixborder will help create balance in an extended flower garden.
Whatever the color of the flowers of Krasodnev, the bulk of the color is represented precisely by the leaves. From this they are repelled when creating a mixed flower garden with a daylily.
Traditional juicy green leaves will be excellent partners for decorative foliage plants of color other than green: it can be blue or variegated hosta, purple geyhera, variegated brunner, etc.
The contrast, chosen according to the form, is especially beautiful. For example, long narrow daylily leaves next to large and rounded soft cuffs, buzulnik, hosts.
If we talk about tree-like, then the daylily is good against the background of hydrangea, lilac, linden and hornbeam trees formed in the form of a shrub.
REPRODUCTION AND TRANSPLANT
It is better to divide the rhizome two weeks after the end of flowering. The leaves are cut by a third to allow the roots to develop before the onset of the cold period.
Spring division is carried out during the period when the first leaves have already formed.
Try to cut the root with minimal damage. Slices are recommended to sprinkle with ash.
The survival rate of planting material is high, but adding a root growth stimulator will not be superfluous.
Reproduction by seeds is possible, but this process will not bring results soon. Flowering will be obtained only after 3-4 years.
What else to read on the site:
Neither color nor texture will add volume to garden paths. In the garden, where there are a lot of plants, this nuance does not spoil the picture, but the lawn, even dissected by winding paths, paths, alas, still looks flat. Select paths on the lawn or …
Just like any textured surface has glare and shading, it is desirable to lighten the palette of an ornamental garden in some places, on the contrary, add a depth effect in others. Only in this way will the landscape that opens up to the eye acquire expressiveness, and some drama.
The opinion about the unreliability of a hedge is fundamentally wrong. Imagine a wooden jungle with distances between the trunks of about 30-40 cm. Even if it is not a branched shrub, but bare trunks, it is extremely problematic to crawl between them. Needless to say, most…
Fence Design Ideas
Do you know the feeling when it is difficult to make a choice? I think yes. So I, before starting this article, could not decide how to group interesting photo ideas for fencing the site. A modern fence does not always have a homogeneous material of manufacture, it is often difficult to…